The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap. Stay safe… Eat pork belly!
- 1 pound fresh pork belly
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-5 whole allspice cloves/ anises
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 100ml bourbon whiskey
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large pot or Dutch oven. Sauté onion, garlic, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and spices until fragrant.
- Add in stock and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Place pork belly in the Dutch oven, bake for 2½ hours, until tender.
- Drain away sauce; chill the pork overnight to improve the texture of the meat.
- When ready, tip the ketchup, soy sauce, maple syrup and bourbon into a small pan. Set over a high heat and bubble for 5 mins until thick and syrupy. Pour over the chunks of pork and toss to coat. Roast for 15-20 mins more until sticky.
- Serve with risotto!