Let us eat cake, it’s somebody’s birthday somewhere. Oh, in fact it’s everyone’s birthday today!
Ingredients (yield two 4-inch cakes):
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 10-12 cherries, stoned and halved
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease two 4-inch cake tins with butter and flour.
- Lay the cherries at the bottom of the cake tins.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until pale and creamy.
- Fold in the flour until well incorporated. Transfer to the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Serve while still warm!