These short ribs are even better when they are allowed to sit overnight.
- 4 pounds short ribs (trimmed off excess fat)
- One onion
- Half a kiwi
- Half a peeled and cored Asian pear
- 2 cups soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 medium carrot
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Drain the ribs of excess blood, then put them in a Dutch oven, cover with water, and bring to a quick boil, discard the water afterwards.
3. In a food processor, pulse one small sweet onion, half of a kiwi, and half of a peeled and cored Asian pear until puréed.
4. Place the clean short ribs in Dutch oven and spoon the onion/kiwi/pear mixture over the meat. Cook in oven for 1 hour.
5. While the meat is cooking, cut carrot into 2-inch chunks. Set aside.
6. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of soy sauce, two tablespoons of minced garlic, ½ cup of mirin and ½ cup of brown sugar.
7. Take out Dutch oven, the fat will rise to the top after cooking, drain it off before adding the remaining ingredients.
8. Add the soy sauce mixture and chopped carrots to the pot, give everything a good stir. Then cook in oven again for 1.5 hour until vegetables and meat are cooked through and you can easily pierce through them with a fork.