Happy year of the dog everybody!
Chinese New Year is the time when you visit your friends and relatives, very often those you only see during this time of the year, and got “interrogated” by them =.=. Gift plays an important role in Chinese culture, so you never go empty-handed! If you pay attention to TV commercials enough, you may notice that many of the most popular gift items among Hong Kongers are, interestingly, not Chinese produces. Kjeldsens Cookies, Almond Roca, Sugus, Ferrero Rocher… just to name a few. Ferrero Rocher is particularly popular in Hong Kong for its golden package, a color Chinese people love for it symbolizes wealth. I’m not a superstitious person, but I do like their creamy, nutella-like centres!
And…. Surprise, surprise! They are equally nice when made into cookies!!
Ingredients (yield 12 pieces):
- 6 Ferrero Rochers (freeze them before baking)
- 1 cup (packed) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the Ferrero Rochers in the freezer until firm, about an hour. Remove from freezer and hit with a hammer in a zip-loc bag a few times until they’re broken into chunky pieces. Put back in the freezer until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the full egg, then the vanilla, mixing until smooth. Add flour mixture in three parts, stirring until just combined after each addition.
- Stir in ½ the Ferrero Rocher pieces. Drop tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto prepared baking sheets, spaced 2 inches apart. Place the remaining Ferrero Rocher into the tops of the cookies, pressing them into the dough slightly.
- Bake for around 10 minutes until edges are nicely browned. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.