My go-to recipe for a hearty meal full of braised tender beef, vegetables and plenty of carbssss!
- 2 pounds meaty beef short ribs
- 2 onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 slices of peeled fresh ginger, smashed
- 1 bunch scallions, white parts smashed with flat side of a large knife and green parts chopped
- 1.5 cup Chinese rice wine
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- 1 fresh red chile
- 3 tablespoons of Doubanjiang
- 3 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grinded pepper
- 2-3 cubes of rock sugar
- 10 ounces dried Chinese wheat noodles
- Bok Choy for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Cut onions and tomatoes into wedges, scallions into sections.
- Chop short ribs into 3-inch cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the onions, tomatoes, scallions and ginger slices and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned.
- Dry the beef cubes with paper towels. Toss into the Dutch oven, sear the beef in the hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Add the soya sauce, water plus Chinese rice wine, just enough to almost cover the meat.
- Add the rock sugar, pepper and Doubanjiang , toss in red chili. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the oven for about 2.5 hours or until the meat and vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve with noodles and bok choy!