Rise and shine, it’s breakfast time! Sunday is my favorite day of the week, no morning rush or unmet challenges, finally there is time to sit back and enjoy a relaxing breakfast. This bread bake is a savory version of bread pudding. The recipe only calls for simple ingredients, you can always manage to scrap together some version as long as you have egg and bread.It tastes like a cross between a quiche and omelette; moist, custardy on the inside while the edge is crunchy and golden…
A Sunday well spent brings a week of content, start your day with a smile and a great breakfast!
- 250g bacon, diced
- 6 eggs
- 1 carton of milk
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- I semi- baguette (preferably slightly stale) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups grated Mozarella cheese
- Parsley, for garnish
- Heat a large non stick pan over high heat. Add all but 2 tbsp of bacon (reserve for topping) and cooked until lightly browned.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and drain the excessive oil.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place the bread in a large bowl. Pour in the egg mixture, 1½ cups cheese and cooked bacon
- Set aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes ( so all the egg is soaked into the bread) or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Coat a 9″ cake tin with butter.
- Pour the bread mixture into the cake tin, scatter with remaining uncooked bacon and remaining cheese. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden on top.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into slices to serve.