Happy Sunday! It’s always tempting to head out for brunch on the weekend, but why not stay in and try these? Coffee refills are free and brunch at home means you don’t have to get changed or put on any make-up.
And if someone ever tells you that you put too much Nutella on your bread, stop talking to them… You don’t need that negativity in your life!
For the dough:
2⁄3 cup lukewarm whole milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
0.25-ounce active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup of Nutella or any other chocolate sauce
2 cups fresh berries (sliced fresh strawberries, fresh raspberries, fresh blueberries)
1 large egg, beaten for egg wash
- In a large bowl, combine warm milk, granulated sugar, and yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add 1 cup flour, beating at low speed to combine.
- Add melted butter and 1⁄2 cup flour, beating until combined. Add eggs, beating to combine. Gradually add salt and remaining 1.5 cups flour, knead to form a soft dough.
- Place dough in bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Grease a cast-iron skillet with butter.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 18×16-inch rectangle. Spread with Nutella, leaving a 1⁄2 inch border. Sprinkle generously with berries.
- Starting at one long side, roll up dough, pressing seam to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log in half length-wise, leave 1-inch of the edge uncut at the top. The doughy halves are then flipped upward.
- Start braiding the two pieces, by carefully lifting the left strand over the right strand. Repeat this motion until you reach the bottom of the dough. Press together to seal.
- Join the two ends, creating a circle with the dough and press together.
- Transfer the dough ring to the prepared cast iron skillet. Brush the wreath with the beaten egg.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake for around 30 minutes (loosely cover with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary), or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely.